While Living Hemp once was associated with hippies and marijuana, these days, hemp has found its way into the mainstream throughout our homes. Many shops and manufacturers have discovered the advantages of hemp. They specialise in clothes and accessories from babies to teenagers as well as clothes for him and her; hemp has left its mark on the fashion trend of today as well as for the future.
What is hemp?
Hemp is an all organic fibre, fast growing, natural, eco-friendly and biodegradable. Hemp is friendly to the skin and temperature-balancing; it cools in the summer and keeps you warm in winter. An even greater advantage, hemp is a great material for people with sensitive skin. More and more people enjoy the high wearing comfort, which hemp fabrics offer.
Those attributes, make hemp an alternative textile raw material. Not only does it protect the environment, but it also deals responsibly with scarce resourses. Hemp, when growing is resistant to pests and disease; no pesticides are needed for its cultivation. A further environmental friendly point.
In the area of reducing waste, hemp wins out above many other textiles. Hemp is compostable and did you know that hemp sheets and rugs get stronger and softer the more they are used?
Benefits of hemp at one glance:
The use of hemp goes back to the 16th century when the plant was imported from Russia to England. People recognised the extraordinary strength of its fibre quickly and used it for the manufacture of sail cloths and ropes. Ever since hemp has, step by step, found its way into our lives. No longer is it a textile of the poor (or hippies).
Advantages of hemp at a glance:
- Fast growing and eco-friendly – Hemp can achieve up to 3 crops per year with less water needed than most other common natural fibres.
- Insect and pesticides resistant – With all organic attributes Hemp remains an all natural fibre.
- Ideal for people with sensitive skin – As an all natural product Hemp is Ideal for all skin types.
- Long lasting, gets stronger and softer the more it is used – Ideal for multiple uses in the home.
- A highly breathable material – Hemp Fibres hollow core makes it an efficient insulator
- Absorbs 30 % more moisture than cotton – Even when sweating, there will be no formation of unpleasant smells. Therefore, hemp requires less washing than other textiles, saving the scarce resource of water.
- Does not disintegrate after getting wet – Ideal for outdoors or wet areas in the house.
- Extremely long-lasting – Making Hemp a cheaper alternative over time.
In the modern household there is hardly an area where hemp cannot be used:
- Clothing for Him and Her
- Skincare for the entire family
- Clothing for children and babies as well as baby wraps and cot sheets
- Hemp for the bedroom; sheets, covers, curtains, etc.
- Hemp for kitchen wear
- Beds and accessories for your pets.
Natural Home Co. is an Online shop for the modern family. If you want to shop for all things hemp, this is the number 1 stop for you to go.
Check out our range of Luxurious Hemp for more ideas on how you can use it in your home.